Friday, September 23, 2016

Back to my Roots ;)



My mom, dad, brother and I on our passport picture COMING TO AMERICA!

Happy weekend my friends!  Hope you all had a fabulous week!  Know that you are always at the right place at the right time even-though sometimes, it may not feel like that's the plan.

I was asked by a reader to go back to my roots.  Now, I am not talking about the natural color of my hair, although since I can't color the gray right now, I supposed I am "back to my roots" 50 shades of gray!  LOL!

This blog might explain a little more about my faith.  This post is in no way any type of political agenda.  So, PLEASE don't read politics into this blog/post.  This is just me, sharing my history with you!

I am an Armenian/lebanese who was born in Beirut, Lebanon.  My dad is full Armenian and my mom is half Lebanese and half Armenian.  My great grand parents (both sides) were a generation that fled from Armenia during the Armenian Genocide.  As Christians, their lives were in great danger.  So, as with many Armenians the choices they had either convert, die or start a scary trek out of Armenia.  

I remember my grandfather telling me about losing a sibling who was younger than him during their travels from Armenia to Lebanon.  Many Armenians are now all over the world specifically because of the Armenian Genocide.  Sadly, after all these years, Turkey and our government have not acknowledged it as a Genocide, although Turkey's motive was to cleanse of all the Christians.  

I don't know if you have ever googled Lebanon, but it is an absolutely beautiful country.  You can LITERALLY ski in the mountains and come down and play on the beach on the same day!  It is very metropolitan.  It used to be called the Switzerland of the middle east and would get all of the latest fashion from France.  When I was around 7, I remember going to the bakery to get loaves of bread (Pita of course) and I still smell the yumminess, I would buy a dozen and usually eat 2 or three on the way home.  Maybe that's why I abstain, I have no limits when it comes to yummy warm bread!  YUM! Lebanon is geographically between Syria and Israel.  

My childhood as I remember was pretty care free as a youngster.  My parents lived with my Paternal grandparents and initially, when they were first married and My brother and I were super young, my two uncles who I am now super close to! They would keep us entertained as a baby and toddler. Family was super important. We always gathered with family and friends, had a lot of parties etc. Fun fact for you, in 1971 Ms. Universe was Ms. Lebanon!  Isn't that fun!!  

Anyway, in 1975 there was a Civil war in Lebanon. Until this time the Christians lived in the North and the Shia Muslims in the South and they all got along.  The country was mostly ran by the Maronite Christians.  The PLO and Muslim Lebanese groups formed an alliance and began to fight the Christians, then quickly the Syrian Army and Israel forces joined the way.  (a little history lesson for you).  

My dad was a welder by trade, he would travel to Saudi Arabia and other countries for work.  Once the war broke out, there were many occasions where he needed to go out of the country because there were no groceries for the people in our neighborhoods to eat and he would bring them back and we would sell them on the corner so people had food to eat.  Instead of "snow days" we had "war days" where we wouldn't go to school because there was too much war activity going on.  I remember my younger brother and I being care free, every time we would hear a bullet, we would run a clothes pin to our balcony and put it on so we could count when it was over.  I also remember one day when I went to the back balcony of our apartment to throw away garbage and was skinned in the arm by a bullet.  Just barely touched me. (God Timing).  

I also remember several occasions when my parents were at gun point at check points, one time while my mom and dad were out, fortunately, my mom with her quick Arabic tongue told them to leave them alone and they got out of that situation.  Another time, my dad was alone and he was beat up (fortunately not killed) for not denouncing his Christianity.  I also remember one time being held in traffic when there were tanks and soldiers on top of those tanks with their big guns and I had to use the rest room so bad. My dad with his blue eyes and blond hair somehow found favor in that soldier and they let him move and I was able to use the rest room.  (God has always been faithful).  My mom and us kids lived in a convent in the mountains for a short time as we were trying to get our papers to the U.S.A to be safe and get away from the war.

The final straw came when a bomb hit the middle of the street where our apartment was located.  By this time, 3 of my uncles had moved to Australia and the other two and my grandparents were in the United States (all dad's side).  We were getting our papers ready to leave and move to the U.S. A.  As soon as we got the VISA, my parents left everything behind and we got on a plane to FREEDOM!

We were so excited and nervous!  I was leaving all my friends to a whole new world.  I didn't speak a word of English!  In school we learned Armenian, French, Arabic and the next year I was supposed to learn English.  My mom, dad and brother did not know a word of English.  My dad was carrying all the money we had on his belt, under his shirt.  We somehow thought we were in Utah and we were in Copenhagen. Somehow, my parents figured it out and bought tickets to continue to our final destination where my grandparents, my uncles and cousins would welcome us to Utah.  

Thanks to my uncle helping my parents with coordinating everything, my dad had a job and we had a house to rent etc.  We came right around Halloween and school had started.  We lived near my uncle and my cousins.  One of my cousins, who I consider to be the sister I never had was in my class and was my translator and helped me acclimate to school.  After all, I was from a foreign country and let's admit it at that age I was totally dorky!  My younger brother was on his own, and it was a bit harder to acclimate.  I wish we were all in the same class.  My brother and I were super close both in age and we were BFF's at this time.  I would never accept candy or anything from anyone unless I could give one to my brother.  He might tell you different :)  When I was 2 and he was about 6 months, this big sis wanted to share my apple.  I took a bite and gave it to him.  Needless to say, he didn't have teeth and couldn't chew and he choked.  My mom had to run him to the hospital to have the doc do the Heimlich on him.  Sorry Bro!  I really was trying to share. HAHA!   

I have to admit, when we first moved to Utah and I first started school, a boy in our class said something to me (my cousin was not near to translate) and it didn't look like he was saying something nice, so I punched him in the lip and gave him a bloody lip.  That's when I realized I had to QUICKLY learn English.  WHOOPS!

My dad loved everything about America!  The proudest accomplishment for him was to be a U.S. Citizen.  When my younger brother was born, he wanted to name him Abe Lincoln.  His favorite football team was the New England Patriots ( don't hold that against him :)

My parents did the bravest thing in the world October 1980.  They moved their family away from the life they knew, away from the people they loved, the country they knew and needed to learn a new language and a new way of life. They left EVERYTHING behind to give us kids a better life and for FREEDOM!  I am forever so grateful that they were so brave!  



My mom, dad, "Miracle Boy" and my NENE (nene=grandma)

I know this has been a SUPER long one, but I hope you can see that I come from a history of God loving people who taught me with GOD on your side, ANYTHING is possible!  My nene, and dad would always say before we left the house or did anything. "Meg had khatch hane and Asdvadz hedt ullah"  Which pretty much means, say a prayer and God be with you!

Job 42:2
"I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.

I hope I didn't bore you with my "roots"!!  Remember Faith, Love, Hope!

XOXOXOXO

Claire

BTW- #GOUTES!  DId you watch that game?? wohoooo!




6 comments:

  1. Oh Claire, this was so fascinating. I didn't know all the history thanks for sharing. This explains so much about your character and your strong determination. I cried as you talked about your parents coming to America with little kids, As I imagine the courage it took and the faith they had. Wow! I wish I could've met your dad and I love your mom even more! Keep writing you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were seriously so brave! I would hope that I would have been willing to do something like that myself. Thank you for the encouragement :) XOXOXO

      Delete
    2. They were seriously so brave! I would hope that I would have been willing to do something like that myself. Thank you for the encouragement :) XOXOXO

      Delete
  2. This is lovely story. And that initial photo is beyond charming.
    Lovin this journey. (Psssst don't forget to post it on your face book!) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do it again :) I don't want to post too often for fear of people will get tired of me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will do it again :) I don't want to post too often for fear of people will get tired of me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete